Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lake Olallie in the Snow

The weather yesterday was immeasurably better than a week ago and in fact it was better than forecasted.  Although there were a few clouds, the sun was poking out and it was around 40 degrees at the trailhead.  An industrious couple was bucking a blown down tree, loading rounds into the back of their truck.  I compared notes with a young hiker named Albert who was planning to scale Granite Mountain for the first time.  I suggested he watch for signs of avalanches danger as he crossed the steep shoots half way up.  We walked together to the trail junction where he turned sharply up and to the right while I continued on west toward Lake Olallie and Pratt Lake.  I passed a few hikers on the way up but it was, for the most part, quiet and peaceful.  The trail was muddy, especially at the beginning, but as the trail gained elevation, the mud gave way to snow- first a dusting and 6 inches and then a foot.
Snow dusting on the trail with the sun peaking through.


The trail crosses several small streams that were especially pretty in the snow.

Snow covered log draped across a stream.

 There was a couple on snowshoes at the Lake Olallie junction.  They hadn't been to the lake and seemed skeptical that it was passable without snowshoes.  Undaunted, I continued through the forest crossing the outlet stream and turning right at the tee (the trail to the left drops down to Talapus).  At first the trail was a soft and the walking tough but soon I passed two groups of snowshoers heading down and the path was easy cruising to the Lake.  I expected the lake to be clear of ice but I was pleasantly surprised to see that about one half of the surface was covered with ice.

Lake Olallie
Curvy snow patterns on the lake.


Snow covered board walk with well over a foot of snow.
 I continued to the north end of the lake and followed a single set of boot tracks up the slope, off trail.  The tracks were small suggesting a female hiker and as approached the Pratt Lake trail, a woman retracing her tracks confirmed my suspicion.  I intersected the trail at about 4,100 feet where there was up to 18 inches of snow in the clearings.  

I hightailed it to the car to make it back for appetizers and "The Nowhere Boy", a story about John Lennon's teenage years.  I recommend it for those who like independent films.  

No comments:

Post a Comment