Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hiking in the Desert

I was visiting my father in Palm Desert last week and needed some exercise.  A Google search on "Palm Desert hikes" brought up a network of trails along Highway 74, which luckily was quite nearby.  After driving 1/2 toward the heart of town, access is behind a church, skirting through a neighborhood.  There is abundant parking along a split rail fence, but the trailhead proper is a little tricky to see right off the bat.  A wide band of sand with tumbleweeds and the like stand between the parking lot and the trail, which climbs sharply up the spine of a ridge.

The first part of the trail was a series of steps, which transitioned into a steep rocky path. Many other folks were enjoying their exercise during the cooler part of the morning.  Most were headed to a large cross that is illuminated at night.  After a half mile or so the grade became more gentle and it was fairly easy going to the cross.  After reaching that goal, I had lots of energy left and decided to continue on. At first the trail dropped a hundred feet or so and then it leveled off following along contour.  I came to a tee and luckily a fellow hiker, the first and only person I saw after passing the cross, explained my options.  I followed her advice and the trail soon dropped into and out of a narrow canyon.  Rushes  and a small pool of stagnant water gave evidence of water flowing just under the bed of the dry creek. 

Soon, I came across the entrance to a golf course.  Only in Palm Desert will you find a two-lane divided golf path. 
Although the hiking trail is clearly marked on the far side of the golf path, the trail apparently terminates in a gravel road for a construction site.  After stumbling around for few minutes, I guessed that the trail continued uphill and sure enough it came into view a short time later.  About a 1/5 mile later the golf course faded into the distance and several houses in various states of construction were visible on the slopes ahead.  To the right, the hillside rose sharply and the trail was visible snaking steeply up the flank.  I was nearing my self-imposed turn-around time and I headed down after about 3 1/2 miles one way.  The trip back was uneventful although I was running short of water and wishing I had brought some extra sun screen. I came across a flowering cactus near the cross as I made my way down.

The trail offers some great views of the valley too.

All in all, it was great to find a trail so close to where I was staying and I expect I will try it or one of the other nearby trails on my next visit to the desert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment