Friday, August 2, 2013

Cayuse Pass

Cayuse Pass is located within Mt. Rainier National Park and is accessible during the summer months when the road is not covered with snow.  Most of the year, I find myself turning left up the hill to Crystal Mountain to ski. This time, I had a meeting in Yakima on Monday, so I decided to take a hike on the way to the east side.

The trailhead is located 4 1/2 miles down SR 123 from the tee with SR 410.  The first 1/4 mile of the trail descends down toward Chinook Creek. Here I saw three hikers with backpacks leaving the trail, the only souls I would see for several hours when I was near the trailhead. First the roar of falls hits your ears and soon a set of Cascades peak through the trees on the right. 
  
Series of falls on Chinook Creek
Just below the falls, the trail crosses the creek and begins working up the west side of the creek through old growth forest.
I short time later, the trail splits, with one branch heading to Owyhigh Lakes and the other to Cayuse Pass.  The latter was my destination for the day.  The first part of the trail slopes up gently with a few downed trees that have to be hopped over.  The next section was steeper with switchbacks. Soon, the grade becomes gentle and the first snow appeared.  Although there were few visible tracks, it was easy to figure out which way one should go.

After about 3 miles, the trail crosses SR 123- remember to look both ways! At this elevation, in early July, the trail was almost entirely covered with snow. In a few places, the side slope was steep which made it important to pay attention to ones footing.  Within 1/2  mile, the trail reached highway 410 a few miles below Chinook Pass.  I couldn't find the continuation of the trail so I headed back to my car.  All in all, it is a nice, lightly used trail.  Enjoy it July through September depending on the snow year.

Large rotting cedar

Scalloped snow

Mt. Rainier popped into view.

Two trees that fell in opposite directions from the same spot.  It seemed odd to me.
*-

No comments:

Post a Comment