Saturday, April 2, 2011

Just because it's April don't mean it's spring.

The weather summary for March was in the Seattle Times this morning.  There were only three days when there wasn't even a trace or rain and they were cloudy too.  The rain in the last week of March was particularly intense, especially in the mountains where copious downpours caused many rivers to leave their banks. As an example, the hydrograph for the Snoqualmie River at Carnation crested several feet above flood stage. Thankfully, it's on the way back down as of noon on 4/2/11.

Unfortunately, the snow level rose and soaked the ski areas so I needed an alternative to get some exercise. I drove off early in the morning, intending to go to Poo Poo Point but my pedal  hit the metal and before I knew it, Rattlesnake Ledge loomed into view. It was 37 degrees and drizzling at the parking lot, where a car full of young men headed up as I arrived. A UW Law School sticker made me wonder if any of them knew my father, who is coaching a team of students in a moot arbitration competition in Hong Kong.

I felt lethargic as I worked my way toward the ledge but it was good to be moving and it was interesting to not the transitions as the trail ascended.  After gaining a few hundred feet a thin layer of slush coated the undergrowth in areas with few trees.

Further up, small torrents crossed the trail where runoff was concentrated in small gulleys.  Rain gave way to small snow pellets and eventually transitioned to flakes near the top. 

The students were just leaving as I arrived after staining the fresh snow with an odd yellow tint (isn't there a law against that?)  The next several few were peaceful as the clouds swirled about, obscuring all but the nearest trees.

The wind began to pick up, whistling through the snow-covered branches and the silence was soon broken by the next group of hikers.

It may have been a little early in the day (8:30 AM leaving the car) and early in the season, but it was good to be in the hills again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment