Saturday, August 27, 2011

Crystal Lake and PCT


Today I went someplace I rarely go unless there is lots and lots of snow on the ground. I headed south on 410 and drove about 5 miles further into Mount Rainier National Park. Although it was offbeat for me, everyone in the Pacific Northwest seemed to have the same idea. Highway 410 is in NPS no-mans land, neither a park entrance fee nor a NW Forest Pass are required to park legally- who said nothing's free!
The Crystal Lake Train is a fairly steep but well maintained.  The first mile and a half climb through surprisingly young and uniform trees.  Although the shade was nice, it seemed a bit like hiking through a tree farm.  Slowly the character of the vegetation surrounding the trail changed and purple flowered lupine filled the air with a delightful scent.  In a couple of spots along the way the tree cover opened up and Mt. Rainier was spectacular.
Mount Rainier looking glorious!
Crystal Lake Trail
Shortly, I came across the first and only junction: the trail to Crystal Peak turned to the right but I decided to leave it for another day.  Soon I was upon Lower Crystal Lake and after another 1/2 mile I reached Upper Crystal Lake.  I turned right toward the few camping spots and followed a trail right on the lakes edge.  I noticed a frog and a salamander holding still in the shallow water.  Across the lake, a young family were enjoying the sun and water.

At this point the trail petered out and I decided to go off trail for a bit. I worked my way up through trees and grass until I reached a hillock that offered a panoramic view of the lake, the lake basin, and the surrounding peaks.

I spotted a faint trail to the northeast but gaining the trail would have required scrambling across a boulder field, which seemed unappealing.  I took a lower, grassier route which lead to a steep but manageable gully.  As I approached the top I heard voices from above, which after scanning the ridges, appeared to be a family, very near the South Back area of the Crystal Mountain ski area.
Family enjoying the warm side of Lake Crystal


Salamander and a frog chilling in the lake.


Spires above the Crystal Lake basin



Mount Adams in the distance
  I spotted a well-used trail that may have lead me in their direction, if only it had switched back to the left.  Instead it led me to another pass to the south, that connected to the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), just over the pass.  From here it was all downhill, past a lake with dozens of people enjoying various activities including swimming, horseback riding, and fly fishing.  Overall, it was a spectacular day in the mountains.  I had another two miles to travel until I made it to Chinook Pass where I noticed a slide zone on the left side of highway 410 and the famous wooden bridge capping Chinook Pass under construction.  


I
Horses enjoying a break



I stuck out my thumb and after a ten minute wait I got a ride back to my car from pleasant fellow who had been scouting for the upcoming bow-hunting season for elk. I was tired from the heat so I stopped for a mocha shake in Greenwater as a prize.  It was an amazing end to the day!
Arch over Chinook Pass is being replaced.

Slide debris next to Chinook Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment