Sunday, September 4, 2011

Rampart Lakes September 2, 2011



After finishing up a few early morning work activities, I took Friday off to head for the hills.   It was a lovely early September day at the beginning of the Labor Day weekend so I was expecting crowds.  I chose Rampart Lakes because of their high alpine beauty.  The trail begins at the end of Forest Service Rd, which begins at the north end of Lake Kachess, north of I-90.  As various guidebooks note, this is a difficult hike, and sometimes I wonder why I keep coming back. The first couple of miles are scenic and fairly easy, following Box Creek up Box Canyon.  Several times the trail winds close to the creek and the water flows gracefully over smooth outcrops.  

There were a number of blown down trees crossing the trail and several were a challenge to scramble across.  The real challenge begins about 2 miles out when the grade shifts from about 5 percent to 20 percent.  The footpath changes from forest duff to a combination of boulders and gnarly roots tenuously holding pines and firs to the steep slope.   The “switchbacks” are more like a gentle “S” running almost straight up the fall line. 

"Trail" to Rachel Lake
Cascade on trail to Rachel Lake.
After about ½ mile the trail crosses a creek at a pool dropping 80 feet or more down a near vertical rock face.  The sheer slope is a sign of more work to come. 





The trail continues up at a brutal slope for another ¾ of a mile or so until it finally levels at Rachel Lake, a small deep blue beauty.  If you know what’s good for you stop here; I didn’t.



Rachel Lake with ridge to Rampart Lakes behind.
HiBox Peak from Rampart Ridge.




Rachel Lake from above.
 The trail to Rampart Lakes skirts the right flank of Rachel Lake giving the weary hiker a hundred yards or so of respite before veering past a boulder field and up a rocky ridge.  Along the way up there are a couple of great overlooks to Rachel Lake and the Box Creek canyon below.  The wise hiker will use these as an opportunity to gather strength and perhaps to snap a shot or two before continuing on.  Within a ½ mile the ridge is gained and the trail tees: the right leg heads further up Rampart Ridge and the left heads toward the lakes.  I took a right turn and went a few hundred yards along the ridge, where a route to Hibox Peak comes into view. 




Stream draining Rampart Lakes.
 It would take a lot more energy than I had for that scramble.  Instead, I doubled back, scrambling over more downed trees and across a few remnant patches of snow, a pile or two were four to five feet tall.  Within minutes the first of a half dozen Rampart Lakes comes into view.  Most are quite small with a distinct north northeast alignment tracing the path of glacial movement from thousands of years ago.  The lakes are carved into a rocky basin whose rock is scoured smooth by the ancient ice.  It was interesting to note that each lake is at a slightly different elevation, even those that are offset laterally by only a few feet.

Multi-levels in Rampart Lakes

Largest of Rampart Lakes with snow patches on Rampart Ridge.

Your weary narrator.

Twinned trees.
 Only a couple of other hikers were visible and after soaking up a little mid-afternoon sun I reversed my path and made my way down.  Here is where I realized how much I dislike the middle section of the trail because of the multitude of large steps.  Boy was I glad to have trekking poles to break my fall and save my knees. 

I passed several groups of campers heading up the trail to enjoy the Labor Day weekend.  As I passed the last few, I wondered if they would find a campsite by the time they made it to the lakes. 


Reflection in the calm water of Box Creek.
I reached my car 20 minutes after I was supposed to meet family in Seattle for an early dinner. It was another 20 minutes before I had cell coverage and I ended my day hungry and "in the dog house."  I vowed not to return to Rampart Lakes unless I got younger or lose some weight to take a load off of my knees.  Stay tuned to see whether that promise holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment