Sunday, October 2, 2011

Are you Sasha's Mom?

Last weekend I returned to Mason Lake to see the sites after the snow had melted. Last time, I was there with my sons Austin and Douglas when the approach to the lake was covered with snow.  This time the trail was snow-free and people-full.  It was hard to find a spot to park when I arrived and there were several groups gathering their gear as I headed up.  The weather was warm but pleasant and I made good time and got away from the crowds.  About 2 miles in the hike I heard a phone ring. It took a second to realize it wasn't mine so I started homing in on the sound; using a trekking pole, I pushed aside a few low-lying leaves and found the little noisemaker.  Returning a call from "Sasha's mom" eventually led to a post-hike meeting with Miriam and her grateful dad in Auburn.  They gave me a box of chocolates for my trouble, which was a big hit with the staff at work on Monday.  Until the arrangements were clear, I queried each group of females for Sasha, with no luck of course.

At Mason Lake there were a number of groups hogging the best spots.  Feeling chipper, I turned north on what I thought was the trail to Mount Defiance.  Soon, I reached Little Mason Lake, which is a pretty gem under the southeastern flank of Defiance.

Little Mason Lake with Mount Defiance in the distance.
Map of the Mason Lake area.
  Having a little energy left I pulled out my map and saw my error: the trail to Defiance to the east northeast.  I decided to bushwack my way which turned out to be challenging, especially the first part, which was a fairly steep slope covered with dense, face-high brush.

 The under-story thinned after  a couple of hundred yards and the going was fairly easy if unclear.  It was relief to hit the trail and I turned right back toward Mason Lake, leaving Defiance for another day.  The trail back to Mason was short and sweet with Lake Kulla Kulla below the ridge to the left and moss-covered trees everywhere.

Mossy trees on the trail from Defiance to Mason Lake.

On the drive back to Seattle I spotted an odd vehicle that was worth a picture.  Turns out it is a vintage, custom racing truck. It's a little hard to see, but the driver is wearing a leather World War I flying hat.
Racing Truck.




No comments:

Post a Comment